The postal industry is an integral part of the industrial and social infrastructure of the Republic of Belarus and is functioning on its territory to meet the needs of individuals and legal entities, public administrative bodies related to postal services.
Postal services include acceptance, handling, storage, transportation, delivery (hand delivery) of letter-post items, parcels, postal money orders, EMS items, acceptance of subscription and delivery of printed mass media, payment of pensions, allowances compensation and other social benefits.
The Ministry of Communications and Informatization in the field of postal services within its competence:
• conducts the unified state policy;
• represents the Republic of Belarus in international relations;
• manages the postal service network of the national postal operator in the occurrence of emergency situations, imposition of the state of emergency or martial law;
• determines the arrangement procedure of production and distribution by the national postal operator of postal stamps, stamped envelopes and stamped postcards, the procedure of production and usage of special letter-stamps;
• controls the activities of postal operators;
• approves the requirements for the location and technical characteristics of mail boxes sets;
• establishes the legal entity: the postal operator providing special postal services;
• develops and adopts legislative acts.
Activities in the field of postal services are carried out on the basis of a special permit (license) issued by the Ministry of Communications and Informatization in accordance with the Decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus dated September 1, 2010 № 450 "Concerning the Licensing of Certain Types of Activity".
Services making licensed activities in the field of postal services include:
• forwarding of postal items;
• admission of subscription to printed mass media and delivery of printed mass media (or selection of a specified list of services).
The national postal operator is the postal operator to which the Ministry of Communications and Informatization entrusts with functions on mandatory provision of universal postal services throughout the territory of the Republic of Belarus
The national postal operator has the status of the designated operator for international postal services in accordance with the Universal Postal Union acts.
In accordance with the Order No 297 of the Ministry of Communications and Informatization dated 19.10.2006, functions on mandatory provision of universal postal services throughout the territory of the Republic of Belarus are assigned to the Republican Unitary Enterprise of Posts “Belpochta” (hereinafter – RUE “Belpochta”). Therewith "Belpochta" has a special permit (license) for public telecommunication services and public postal services: provision of international telephone connection; provision of intercity telephone connection; provision of local telephone connection; data transfer services, IP-TV service; forwarding of postal items; admission of subscription to printed mass media and delivery of printed mass media.
RUE “Belpochta” consists of 6 regional branches, “Minskaya Pochta” Operating Department and Motor Transport Department, 35 postal service units, 3,092 postal objects, including 2,669 post offices, 187 points of postal services and 176 mobile post offices. Extensive network of postal objects allows the RUE “Belpochta” to meet growing needs of population in postal services. The list of services provided by RUE “Belpochta” is available on the website http://www.belpost.by. The EMS service is widely developed in the Republic of Belarus. EMS service is a postal service, in case of which the acceptance and delivery of postal items is carried out in shortest terms. RUE “Belpochta” provides this service on the territory of the Republic of Belarus.
According to the obtained special permit (license) the activities in the field of postal services are also carried out by the following postal operators:
• for forwarding of postal items: RUE “Special communication”, “Nasha Pochta” CJSC, “Globel24” LLC, “Autolight-Express” LLC, “DPD Bel” FLLC, “СDEK-Bel” LLC, “CourierBai” LLC, “Roscherk” LLC,“Hypermall” LLC;
• for subscription to the printed mass media: RUE “Belsouzpechat”, “Lagoda-Info” LLC, “Vladimirs Grevtsov ’s Agency” LLC;
• for the delivery of printed mass media: newspaper office “Luninetskiya Naviny”, newspaper office “Zhodzinskiya Naviny” and radio broadcasting program “Radio Zhodino”, “Nasha Pochta” CJSC;
• for admission of subscription to printed mass media and delivery of printed mass media: “Grevtsov’s Publisher” LLC, RUE “Vitebskoblsouzpechat”, UE “Brestoblsouzpechat”, OJSC “Mogilevsouzpechat”, UE “Gomeloblsouzpechat”.
The Republic of Belarus was awarded for the improving of quality of postal services:
In 2006 – “Silver Level” Certificate for compliance with the Universal Postal Union EMS Cooperative Quality Control and Assessment Program;
In 2007 – the IB UPU Certificate in the Field of International Postal Service Quality Management (Level A, “gold”);
In 2011 – got the second place for the level of the development of electronic postal services;
In 2012 – “Gold Level” Certificate for compliance with Universal Postal Union EMS Cooperative Quality Control and Assessment Program following the results of work for 2011;
In 2013 – the Universal Postal Union S42 Certificate, ensuring the compliance with international addressing standard S42;
In 2014 – “Bronze Level” Certificate for compliance with the Universal Postal Union EMS Cooperative Quality Control and Assessment Program following the results of work for 2013;
In 2017 – the renewed Universal Postal Union S42 Certificate, ensuring the compliance with international addressing standard S42. S42 standard is a prerequisite for the effective postal operations and interoperating in the global postal network.
In 2019 – “Silver Level” Certificate for compliance with Universal Postal Union EMS Cooperative Quality Control and Assessment Program following the results of work for 2018 and the Universal Postal Union Quality of Service Fund Certificate for the best project implementation “Participation in the UPU Global Monitoring System – 2016-2018”.
Development of postal services in the Republic of Belarus will be carried out in conditions of increased competition due to the liberalization of the internal market of postal services, and a significant change in the international postal market due to global development of the Information Society, substitution of the traditional forms of documents and goods delivery and development of transnational network of logistics companies.
The main directions of development of the postal sector in the Republic of Belarus are:
- development of new business directions - postal logistics and courier services through the introduction of innovative marketing, transport and storage technologies, further development of cooperation with domestic producers in the e-commerce segment;
- improving the quality of postal services in the traditional segment through the introduction of digital technologies, business process reengineering and optimization of the network infrastructure.